Sunday, May 27, 2007

Chicago Diary - Pt 2

Sunday 5/27
8:19 p.m.

Piddled around the house this morning for a little bit then had a great pancake breakfast. Me and Shawn popped over to Starbucks to get Debbie a coffee and saw the McCartney poster for the new CD right on the front door. Very cool!
Then we all got ready and headed out to the Village of Long Grove – a suburb 35 minutes from Chicago. [Everything here is known as a ‘village’].
It was founded in the 1800’s by German settlers who established it as a trading post, which it still is to this day. Most of the buildings date back to this time as well so it definitely had that old town village feel to it. It is full of shops that we walked through all afternoon. As we walked I noticed that the bricks that formed the road had my name on them! I joked with Shawn that I needed to steal one to take back to Orlando with me for my ‘accidental’ brick collection that I have going!! [For anyone unaware – I have 2 bricks from the Cavern Club in Liverpool made famous by the Beatles].
We stopped into The Village Tavern [another ‘village’] for lunch where I had a fantastic hamburger and Debbie had the fish platter. She enjoyed that as well. After some more shopping it was getting late and we were all getting pretty tired so we headed home. We stopped into a Dairy Queen for a ice cream and sat outside to eat it - enjoying the fantastic weather today here in the area.
We returned back to Shawn and Kim’s house and Shawn had to go to work for a few hours and Debbie and Kim looked at pictures of the grandbabies. A very full day and I’m exhausted from all the walking!!! The knee held out great. Probably the most continuous walking that I have done at one time since the surgery in January – so that’s awesome.
Tomorrow is Memorial Day and there is a big parade we plan on going to. Again not sure what else is on the agenda – just playing it by ear.
Tuesday we’ll hit the Field museum and the Sears tower in downtown Chicago and see some of the sights the city has to offer.
Now it’s time for bed!!

No comments: