Friday, May 11, 2007

I Can't Help Myself

Observed an interesting juxtaposition this morning while driving into work.

Me and Deb were listening to the new Van Zant CD (which you must check out – just good stuff) and in the song “I Can’t Help Myself” there are the lines:

“Jesus help me - Obviously, I can't help myself
I've got nobody else - Send me an Angel
Someone to strangle - That ol' demon that's haunting me there on the shelf
I can't help myself”

As these lines were playing - at the same time we observed a homeless man with his shopping cart loaded full with cardboard and blankets – probably all his possessions – slowly making his way across the street as we went by.

If this was a movie - that could well have been the soundtrack playing along with the scene. I turned to mention it to Deb and she was already observing him and as I said that – she said she was thinking the same thing.

That vaporous image has stuck with me all morning.

No comments: