Thursday, May 10, 2007

Why I Am Concerned About The New Paul McCartney CD

I've been sitting here thinking about the new Macca CD Memory Almost Full. Now I'm no marketing guy - just a Beatles geek who trolls the web everyday reading endlessly about the Beatles - but Ok - it's May10 - Paul's new CD will be out in what - 26 days - here in the states. Much was made out of the BIG MOVE from Capitol/EMI to Starbucks Hear Now label - so I also must say that I am a bit disappointed about what seems to be the LACK of publicity for the new CD. There's nothing out there in the mainstream for us informing us of the CD coming out - unless that IS the strategy!!
I have heard 2 songs in their entirety - and 30 second snippets of all the remaining tracks and my initial gut impression is that this IS a strong work from Paul, so why do I have that dread in the pit of my stomach about what's happening - or NOT happening that could possibly sink another great album by Paul - 2 in a row now - from falling through the cracks.
Paul was on a British radio program today and it was mentioned the first single would be released 2 weeks AFTER the album!! WHAT THE ..... ????
As I said - It's less than a month from the release date now - so where is this much talked about video with Natalie Portman to push anticipation of the CD release? Where is the one song primer on iTunes? Lately all the major artists have been putting up at least one song and in some cases a video on iTunes well in advance of the full CD release - with the added incentive to 'complete the CD' or pre-order option! But not Paul. Why not?
There is also all of that debate and confusion with the different CD formats - three - or was it four configurations being reported! C'MON!
I mean lets face it - we'll go to Best Buy and buy it for $11.99 when it comes out instead of Starbucks for $15.99 - or MORE. As for the Starbucks part of it - I think they are just hoping the CD has legs and will slip it into their shops and hope it sells slow and consistent numbers over the months rather than just the initial 'fans only' who bought 'Chaos' - that seems more there style. Keep it on the counter for MONTHS and MONTHS selling it in drips and drabs rather then the few weeks Best buy will give it on the end cap.
Just some thinking I was doing this morning rather than working....

No comments: