Thursday, March 12, 2009

Lists


I love lists. There is a strange comfort that I get out of putting in order the seemingly random. I can remember my mom always buying “The Book of Lists” series of books. I’m sure that’s where my own fascination with lists springs from.
My other passion is music. So of course a list involving music is downright orgasmic.
I am currently listening to the “1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die” list. (You can follow along on the music blog I contribute to where I am reviewing each record). I compiled each album into nice and neat folders on a hard drive that I have hooked up into my computer.
I have also compiled the “500 Best Albums Of All Time” list from Rolling Stone magazine – as well as their “500 Best Songs Of All Time”.
I recently added “VH1’s 100 Greatest Hard Rock Songs” as well as “VH1’s 40 Greatest Heavy Metal Songs”.
I then put together a collection of every “Album Of The Year” Grammy award winner.
I have really enjoyed putting together these lists of music – although it has taken a lot of time. It’s more than just compiling and downloading the music – it’s organizing and properly tagging, etc. that takes all of the time – but it is nice to see a list get filled up and completed.
I just added a few list spreadsheets to my collection which are my next project. A series of books by Martin Popoff. They are “The Top 500 Heavy Metal Songs of All Time” and “The Top 500 Heavy Metal Albums of All Time”.
Let the downloading and tagging madness begin!

No comments: