Monday, March 23, 2009

Oh my aching back...and knee...and hip...

It's not everyday that you visit the dr and he tells you that you have a broken back!! And I never thought it would happen to me.
Well - I have a broken bone in my back - a stress fracture - which has slid the spine forward. Have to get a cat scan this afternoon. Once the cat scan results are in, I have to have injections directly into the fracture – a concoction of pain meds; anti-inflammatory and some “stuff” that helps promote bone healing. That all will begin this Thursday.
I also have to go physical therapy twice a week starting tomorrow. They will then re-evaluate the back in 6 weeks. If not improved, the option may be to do spine surgery to fuse the fracture.
And as for the knee – will probably have to have surgery on that very very soon. As soon as next month I think. I have 2 bone fragments floating around impacting my knee cap and tears on both sides of the meniscus.
How did all of this happen!!! Well - The spine dr. said that actually this all began when I was a kid - and is found in mostly men over the height of 6'2". Our bodies when we are younger grow faster than our spine during growth spurts in tall men causing weak spots to develop. As we get older and abuse our bodies - these weak spots can sometimes fracture - which mine has.
so while not COMMON by any stretch - it's not RARE either. It's mainly in men (women are build differently you know) and the dr. didn't seem that concerned about it and said there is a great chance all of my pain could be gone in 6 weeks with the shots and physical therapy.
fingers crossed...
updates as they occur.

No comments: